How about a little something that's lighter but still full of flavor? Say hello to Idaho® Potato and Chicken Gumbo! It's got a rich base of flavors developed using a browned roux, a handful of tasty diced vegetables and delicious Idaho® Potatoes, and homemade creole seasoning.
This is a quick-cooking recipe so we'd recommend prepping all of the veggies before you get started on the actual soup. Dice a small onion, 2 celery stalks, and a half cup worth of sweet, colorful peppers.
Next, peel one small Idaho® potato and then shred it with a box cheese grater, giving you -- ideally -- about ¾ cup. Then cube and peel three medium-sized potatoes. You can either toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons canola oil and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes (until golden brown) or saute the potatoes in 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and whisk to combine. Let cook over medium-high heat, whisking often, until it is a deep golden brown and fragrant.
Whisk into the mix room temperature water and chicken broth, combining them well. Bring to a boil and add the shredded potatoes. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the diced vegetables, minced garlic and cooked chicken.
Meanwhile, mix up your Creole seasoning by combining 2 Tbsp. paprika, 1 Tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. white pepper*, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, ½ tsp. dried thyme, and a ½ tsp. dried basil.
Add 1 Tbsp. of seasoning to the soup, adjusting if you would like more heat. Add your roasted/sautéed potatoes to the soup and let simmer for an additional ten minutes or until your potatoes are fully cooked through.
Idaho® Potato and Chicken Gumbo
Adapted recipe courtesy of the Idaho® Potato Commission
- 3 Tbsp. butter, unsalted* (recommended, but salted butter works too)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup Idaho® potatoes, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup diced yellow onion (about 1 small)
- ½ cup diced red and yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. cooked chicken meat, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning (suggested recipe below)
- 4 cups Idaho® potatoes, cubed and sautéed
Creole Seasoning- yields ¼ cup
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add flour to melted butter, whisking to combine well. Let cook for 2 minutes or until a rich golden brown. Carefully add chicken broth and water, whisking to combine. Bring to a boil. Add shredded potato and let simmer for 12 minutes. Add onion, peppers, celery, garlic, and chicken pieces.
- Stir in creole seasoning and sautéed potatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes (the vegetables should be cooked, but still firm).
Yield: 6 servings Per serving*: Calories 280, Total Fat 7g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 28g, Vitamin A 70%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.Jenny Dahl is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with Festival Foods and is certified by the state of WI.