How about a little something that's lighter but still full of flavor? Say hello to Idaho® Potato and Chicken Gumbo! It's got a rich base of flavors developed using a browned roux, a handful of tasty diced vegetables and delicious Idaho® Potatoes, and homemade creole seasoning.
This is a quick-cooking recipe so we'd recommend prepping all of the veggies before you get started on the actual soup. Dice a small onion, 2 celery stalks, and a half cup worth of sweet, colorful peppers.
Next, peel one small Idaho® potato and then shred it with a box cheese grater, giving you -- ideally -- about ¾ cup. Then cube and peel three medium-sized potatoes. You can either toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons canola oil and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes (until golden brown) or saute the potatoes in 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and whisk to combine. Let cook over medium-high heat, whisking often, until it is a deep golden brown and fragrant.
Whisk into the mix room temperature water and chicken broth, combining them well. Bring to a boil and add the shredded potatoes. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the diced vegetables, minced garlic and cooked chicken.
Meanwhile, mix up your Creole seasoning by combining 2 Tbsp. paprika, 1 Tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. white pepper*, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, ½ tsp. dried thyme, and a ½ tsp. dried basil.
Add 1 Tbsp. of seasoning to the soup, adjusting if you would like more heat. Add your roasted/sautéed potatoes to the soup and let simmer for an additional ten minutes or until your potatoes are fully cooked through.
Idaho® Potato and Chicken Gumbo
Adapted recipe courtesy of the Idaho® Potato Commission
- 3 Tbsp. butter, unsalted* (recommended, but salted butter works too)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup Idaho® potatoes, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup diced yellow onion (about 1 small)
- ½ cup diced red and yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. cooked chicken meat, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning (suggested recipe below)
- 4 cups Idaho® potatoes, cubed and sautéed
Creole Seasoning: (yields ¼ cup)
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add flour to melted butter, whisking to combine well. Let cook for 2 minutes or until a rich golden brown. Carefully add chicken broth and water, whisking to combine. Bring to a boil. Add shredded potato and let simmer for 12 minutes. Add onion, peppers, celery, garlic, and chicken pieces.
- Stir in creole seasoning and sautéed potatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes (the vegetables should be cooked, but still firm).
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving*: Calories 280, Total Fat 7g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 28g, Vitamin A 70%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.