What’s the Big Deal about Copper River Salmon? One taste of this firm red fish, with its rich and nutty flavor, and you will understand why seafood lovers relish the three to four weeks that fresh Copper River salmon is available each year. We are anticipating it to arrive in our Festival Foods stores within the next few days.
The Copper River is located 150 miles East of Anchorage, Alaska. It flows into the North Gulf of Alaska and is home to the famous Copper River Salmon. The river itself is 300 miles of glacier-carved waters, and its elevation drops 3,600 feet along the way, making it one of the fastest flowing rivers in the country.
Copper River produces some of the richest, best tasting wild salmon in the world—King (Chinook), Sockeye (Red), and Coho (Silver).
The salmon season begins in mid-May and runs through September. Kings run through mid-June, Sockeyes continue through early August, while in late July the Coho begin to run until September.
We are once again teaming up with the Copper River Salmon Company and they will be providing us with fresh salmon in season and frozen when out of season.
I love to grill and will have it fired up the first night that the salmon is available. Here is one of my favorite recipes:
Grilled Copper River Salmon
- 2 lbs Copper River Salmon
- 1/2-1 cup butter (or however much you feel comfortable with)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chardonnay wine
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 1 head garlic
How to make it
- Peel and chop garlic and onion coarsely.
- Soften butter, Rub salmon with butter and then salt well
- Sprinkle with pepper and press the onions and garlic onto the salmon and place in a shallow glass plate with the rest of the butter (melted) and Chardonnay, enough to almost cover the fish. Marinate for at least an hour –the longer, the better.
- Grill on indirect heat until done and serve immediately (remember it’s about 10 minutes an inch, but that assumes a 400 degree grill so adjust accordingly)
This recipe is supposed to serve 4 but trust me; everyone will eat more than one portion after they taste this salmon!
Just a few more days until I get to eat this amazing salmon again!