- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (28 oz.) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb. large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. cod, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions1. Heat oil in a 6-quart shallow Dutch oven or saucepot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots. Stirring occasionally, cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf and seasoning. Cook for about 1 minute or until garlic becomes fragrant. 1. Stir in chicken stock and tomatoes. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Return to a boil over medium-high heat. Gently stir in shrimp and white fish. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. 1. To serve, ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley, optional.
Use tilapia, halibut or haddock in place of cod.
Calories 270, Total Fat 11g (Saturated 1.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 160mg, Sodium 330mg, Total Carbohydrate 11g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g), Protein 31g, Vitamin A 90%, Vitamin C 30%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Serves: 6 servingsGluten Free Dairy Free Winter New Year's Soup Fall Spring Special Occasion