Caribbean Beans & Rice
- 1 package Birds Eye® Steamfresh® Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 1 ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large roasted red pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can light coconut milk
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Directions1. Prepare Steamfresh rice according to package directions. 1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add roasted red peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. 1. Add beans, coconut milk, allspice, salt and pepper to saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in rice 1. reduce heat to low. Warm through, about 5-10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. 1. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
To substitute regular long grain brown rice for the Steamfresh rice, simply add 1 cup dry rice as directed in step 3, plus ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
Calories 380, Total Fat 9g (Saturated 4.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 530mg, Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 11g, Sugars 3g), Protein 14g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Serves: 4 servingsGluten Free Main Dish Dairy Free Sodium Smart 10 Dollar Meal Vegetarian Vegan Skillet Meal