This West African Black-Eyed Pea Salad (or Saladu Nebbe in Senegalese) is bright and fresh with a bit of a kick. Featuring black-eyed peas, an affordable source of plant-based protein, this yummy salad gets better over time. Serve with traditional grilled fish or a whole grain, like brown rice, for a complete plant-based protein meal.
West African Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Recipe adapted from Saveur
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 (15.8 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 4 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium Roma tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 habanero or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, parsley and canola oil into a smooth dressing.
- To dressing, add black-eyed peas, green onions, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber and hot pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight to allow flavors to meld. Serve chilled.
Yield: 10 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 140, Total Fat 6g (Saturated 0g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 290mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 2g), Protein 4g, Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 60%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.