There’s no doubt that mac and cheese is a family favorite, but boxed varieties can be loaded with sodium and fat. Try this tasty and lightened-up Cheesy Tuna Mac instead! Made with wholesome ingredients like fiber-rich whole grain pasta, heart-healthy tuna and protein-packed Greek yogurt, this “Mac” packs a mean nutritional punch without sacrificing flavor. And for an extra special twist, this dish can easily be made with fun-shaped pasta that your whole family will love!
Cheesy Tuna Mac
Recipe adapted from Starkist®
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat pasta (or gluten free pasta for gluten free)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 oz. can of tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Microwave vegetables for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, milk and onion powder until well blended.
- Drain pasta and place in a medium bowl. Add vegetables and yogurt mixture; toss to combine. Stir in cheese and tuna until well distributed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings *Per Serving: Calories 380, Total Fat 11g (Saturated 6g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 4g), Protein 27g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 25%, Iron 10% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.