I am hoping winter will be wrapped up at any moment. But it’s still well below freezing, meaning my soup obsession is still in full swing! The soup du jour is Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup: a rustic compilation of robust, yet sweet turkey sausage, fresh, colorful spinach, soft tortellini pillows and juicy tomatoes, all brought together in a flavorful Italian seasoned broth! I don’t know about you, but this soup is on my menu for tonight!
Turkey Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1 ¼ lb. turkey sausage
- 4 oz. fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes with oregano and basil
- 32 oz. container low sodium chicken broth
- 9 oz. package whole wheat three cheese tortellini
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan cheese, to garnish
- ¼ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Add ground turkey sausage and allow to brown, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in chopped spinach and saute until it wilts, about 1 minute. Stir in seasonings and a pinch of salt and ground black pepper.
- Add a can of seasoned diced tomatoes with the juice, chicken broth and tortellini and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium, cover Dutch oven and allow to cook 10-15 minutes, until tortellini is fully cooked.
- Taste and season as necessary. Top with parmesan cheese and parsley.
*Per Serving: Calories 300, Total Fat 12g (Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 660mg, Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 4g), Protein 21g, Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.