It doesn't get much better than cheesy lasagna; until you put that lasagna in a zucchini boat. Fresh zucchini takes the place of noodles in this oh-so-yummy lasagna recipe to create a dish that's kid-friendly and veggie-licious.
20 Minute Meals:
Pesto Lasagna Zucchini Boats
4 medium zucchini (about 1 ½ lbs.)
½ cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup pesto
2 cups pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles
⅔ cup pasta sauce
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil, chiffonade, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and cut them in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the center out of each zucchini half, leaving a ¼-inch thick zucchini boat.
- In a medium-size bowl, add the ricotta and pesto. Mix until well combined. Spoon the pesto ricotta into the zucchini boats and spread the filling into an even layer.
- Place the stuffed zucchini boats in the baking dish. Top the zucchini boats with the turkey sausage crumbles and pasta sauce. Spread the sauce evenly. Sprinkle the zucchini boats with shredded cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil. Let the zucchini boats rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired, serve and enjoy.
Yield: 4 servings
Per Serving: Calories 240, Total Fat 16g (Saturated 5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 8g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 4g), Protein 18g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 25%, Iron 10%
Brittany Nikolich is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with Festival Foods and is certified by the State of WI.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.