We all need a little sweet treat every once in a while, right? This recipe is a great one that can be made in less than 30 minutes. Bonus: It tastes delicious and feeds a crowd. Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites are hands down my new favorite sweet treat! Throw the ingredients into a food processor, blend and bake … so EASY! I have a weakness for good cookies, so I especially love that they’re portion-controlled, meaning I can enjoy one or two and be satisfied. As these little gems do not contain gluten and are egg-free, so they can be a great option for your friends and family who have food allergies or intolerances. (Just make sure you purchase certified gluten free oats if you’re making them for someone with Celiac disease.)
Now before you start questioning how gluten-free, egg-free cookies could ever taste good, let me tell you a little secret about this recipe: Great Northern beans. They're mild-flavored (you actually don’t taste them at all!), and along with oatmeal, they give the structure to these cookies that egg and flour would typically provide. These are slightly cake-y and incredibly moist. Your family and friends will love these bite-sized treats!
The first thing you’ll want to do is preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare 2 mini muffin tins by spraying them with cooking spray. If you only have one muffin tin, don’t fret! I’m in the same situation, so I just baked the cookies in two separate batches- worked like a charm. You can always make a half batch as well (which would make 24 mini cookies, or fill one mini muffin tin). Next, drain the beans in a colander and rinse them with cold water. Then add the beans to the bowl of a food processor.
After you’ve added the beans, layer the remaining ingredients in the food processor (except for the chocolate chips!). Pulse a few times and then process everything for 1-2 minutes, or until the batter is well combined and fairly smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the chocolate chips. Finally, divide the cookie batter evenly among the prepared mini muffin cups (about 1 Tbsp. of batter in each).
Next, bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are set in the center and just starting to brown around the edges. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool in the muffin tins for about 5 minutes.
Once they’ve cooled for a few minutes and firmed up a bit, remove the cookies to a wire rack so they can cool completely. These Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites freeze really well, so feel free to make a batch ahead of time for an upcoming event.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites
Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
- 2 (15 oz.) cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (or gluten free oats for gluten free)
- ¼ cup natural applesauce (no added sugar)
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life® mini chocolate chips for dairy free or vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and prepare 2 mini muffin tins by spraying with cooking spray. (If you only have one pan, you can bake the cookies in two batches)
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor. Blend for 1-2 minutes, until batter is well combined and fairly smooth. Pour cookie batter into a bowl and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the cookie mixture evenly among all the 48 mini muffin cups. (If using one pan, use half the mixture to fill the 24 muffin cups, and then bake a second batch with the other half of the mixture.)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cookies are set in the center and just starting to brown around the edges.
- Cool cookies in the muffin tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Note: To make a smaller batch (1 mini muffin tin, or 24 cookie bites), simply cut all the ingredients in half! Use 1 can of beans, ½ cup oats, 2 Tbsp. applesauce, 1 ½ Tbsp. oil, 1 tsp. vanilla, ¼ tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. baking powder, ¼ tsp. salt, ¾ cup brown sugar, and ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips.
Yield: 48 mini cookie bites (24 servings; 2 cookie bites per serving)
*Per Serving: Calories 150, Total Fat 3.5g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 120mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 17g), Protein 3g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 6%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.