Do you ever want a restaurant-quality meal without the cost or hassle of going out to eat? I sure do; which is why I am THIS EXCITED to share this week’s recipe with you! When I’m at a restaurant, Pecan-crusted anything gets my top vote! So I was thrilled when I was given this recipe; but, to be honest, I had my doubts at first. I knew it sounded good, but would I be able to make it on my own? Would it taste as good? Would it be a crowd pleaser?! YES, YES, and YES!! The Cod’s velvety, tender flakes provide the perfect contrast to the crunchy pecans. And don’t even get me started on how out-of-this-world toasted nuts taste with the lightness of the fish! This dish is decadent enough to be found at a restaurant but easy enough to make for dinner any night of the week. To get started, whisk one egg with 2 Tbsp. of water in a large glass dish. Place your fillets into the egg mixture and let soak while preparing the other steps. While your fillets are soaking, spread 1/2 cup whole wheat flour in a shallow dish; add ½ tsp. each of salt and pepper and combine. In a separate shallow dish, spread the finely chopped pecans. I recommend using a food processor to chop your pecans; the finer the pecans the better the crust! Set up a station in your kitchen to bread the fish, near the stove. If you have a very cozy kitchen, like mine, your station might end up being on the stove! Arrange however works best for you J! Next, heat 2 Tbsp. canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Take each fish fillet out of the egg mixture and dip one side into the flour, gently shaking off excess. What comes next? You guessed it! Gently press the other side of the fillet into the nuts. Place fillets nut side down in pan. Fry about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully turn over each fillet (I found that a tongs worked best for this) and finish cooking, 4 - 6 minutes or until center is opaque and fish flakes easily. Easy, peasy! Once the fish is done, simply plate and eat! I paired my entrée with savory roasted Brussels sprouts, but any roasted veggie would have been stellar! Bon appetite! Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 4 cod or haddock fillets (6 oz. each)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pecans, chopped finely
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Mix egg and water together in a large glass baking dish. Let fish soak in egg mixture.
- Spread flour in a shallow dish, stir in salt and pepper, using a fork to blend. Spread pecans in a separate shallow dish.
- Heat oil in large skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Take each fish fillet out of egg mixture and dip one side into flour, gently shaking off excess. Lay the other side onto chopped pecans, pressing nuts into the fillet.
- Place fillets nut side down in pan. Fry about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully turn over each fillet and finish cooking, 4 - 6 minutes or until center is opaque and fish flakes easily.
Adapted Recipe provided courtesy of Oldways.