Hello! I have another lighter, spring-inspired recipe for you this week! Salads tend to get a bad reputation for running on the dissatisfying and bland side of meals, but like any other food, you just have to give it a little TLC to make it a winner. And true to my word- this inspired Buffalo Chicken Salad takes top prize since it is anything but bland or lacking in satisfaction! Loaded with bold flavors ranging from hot buffalo sauce to tangy feta cheese, less is more with these toppings! The smooth, creaminess of avocado and the crunch of celery, romaine lettuce, tomato, fresh cucumber, and red onion keep you coming back for more after every bite! This salad mimics the beloved happy hour buffalo wings without the calories and fat! Plus, you’re getting a few servings of veggies to boot! First, start by lightly seasoning your chicken with salt/pepper. Place in nonstick pan over medium heat to cook through. If your chicken breast is on the larger side, butterflying the breast helps promote even and quicker cooking.
Once fully cooked, remove from pan and let rest until slightly cool, about 5 minutes. Cut into even-sized pieces. Add about 3 Tablespoons (or desired amount) of Buffalo Sauce; stir together and set aside.
Now that your chicken is done (in no time at all!), start building your salad! You’ll start with a large mound of lettuce (I prefer Romaine) and pile on the toppings. This is a great opportunity to use up any leftover veggies or to pre-prep your veggies for the rest of the week. I used red onion, celery, cucumber, and tomato for color, and avocado and feta for the reasons stated above (they’re so good!). Top it all off with your bold buffalo chicken and you’ve got a salad you’ll want to brag about!
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Makes 4 salads Ingredients
- 8 cups lettuce
- 1 cup each chopped celery, tomato, cucumber
- 1/2 cup each feta cheese and chopped red onion
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Buffalo Sauce
- 1-2 chicken breasts, depending on size (about 1 lb.)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Lightly season both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in nonstick skillet, over medium high heat. Once chicken is cooked through, remove from pan and let rest until slightly cooled, about 5 minutes. Cut into even-sized pieces and stir in buffalo sauce until chicken is well coated. Set aside.
- Add 2 cups lettuce to 4 separate bowls; layer with chopped toppings. Add buffalo chicken and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Jenny Dahl is a Registered Dietitian (RD) with Festival Foods and is certified by the state of WI.