Do you ever find yourself so swept up with life that you feel like you’re just moving from one activity to the next but never catching up? I bet you do… at least once in a while :). We know the feeling won’t last and we’ll find our center again, but when that moment is shining at its brightest, it’s best to have something that will nourish both your body and your mind on hand! These Banana & Blueberry Nut Muffins, made with wholesome oat flour, blueberries, walnuts, and mashed banana, do just the trick for me. When I’ve got a full day ahead, I toss one (or two) of these little guys in my bag to take on-the-go. Their chewy denseness stops hunger in its tracks while the fruit and nuts provide just the right balance of savory/sweet. So, stop for just a moment to enjoy the little things in life, like one of these amazing muffins. It will fuel you up to conquer another day! First you’re going to start by mixing together the rolled oats, milk, and yogurt to soften the oats; mix until well combined and set aside for about ten minutes.
Instead of using refined white flour in our muffins, we’re going to use our own homemade whole grain oat flour! Making oat flour could not be any easier; simply add rolled oats (2 cups to make the 1 ½ cups oat flour) to a food processor and pulse until the oats form a powdery consistency. Voila! Oat flour. Pour the oat flour into a small bowl and combine the salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
Back to our dairy-soaked oat mixture; add the mashed banana, egg and oil to the wet oats and mix well. Add the dry oat flour mixture to the wet rolled oat/mashed banana mixture; combine well. Fold in blueberries and chopped walnuts.
Fill lined or greased muffin cups a little over 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Note: these muffins freeze and re-heat extremely well! So enjoy right away and enjoy again later :). Until next week, stay happy and healthy!
Banana & Blueberry Nut Muffins
Recipe Adapted from Honest Fare
Makes about 24 muffins Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ cup oat flour (2 cups rolled oats)
- ½ cup nonfat, plain yogurt
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups mashed bananas (3 large)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1- 1 ½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F
- Mix rolled oats, yogurt and milk together in a bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine oat flour, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl. Note: to make oat flour, pulse 2 cups rolled oats in a food processor until a powdery flour forms.
- Add mashed banana, egg and oil to the rolled oat mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add dry oat flour mixture to rolled oat mixture and mix until well combined. Fold in blueberries and chopped walnuts.
- Fill lined or greased muffin cups a little over 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Jenny Dahl is a Registered Dietitian (RD) with Festival Foods and is certified by the state of WI.