Stuffed Butternut Squash
This vegetarian Stuffed Butternut Squash is the perfect fall food. It is overflowing with good-for-you ingredients like kale, dried cranberries, and quinoa and it is packed full of flavor. Let veggies shine on your dinner table with this delicious recipe!
Stuffed Butternut Squash
Adapted from Well Plated
- 2 medium butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Zest of 1 orange, plus 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup reduced-sugar dried cranberries (we love Patience™ Fruit & Co. Whole & Juicy Dried Cranberries from our Natural & Organic Department)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place butternut squash halves cut side up on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil. Bake 45 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool. Reduce oven to 375°F.
- While squash is baking, place stock in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 12 minutes or until most of the stock is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and cook until wilted. Reduce heat to medium low. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until garlic is fragrant; about 30 seconds. Stir in garbanzo beans, orange zest, orange juice, quinoa and cranberries. Set aside.
- Once squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh, leaving a ½-inch thick border around the sides. Reserve the flesh for another use. Stuff the quinoa filling into the squash halves. Bake for about 10 minutes or until filling is hot. Serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Tip: The reserved squash makes a great side dish. Mash with a little bit of olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
*Per Serving: Calories 340, Total Fat 6g (Saturated 0.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 650mg, Total Carbohydrate 65g (Dietary Fiber 12g), Protein 12g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 20%, Potassium 20%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.