Heat things up this week with our Spicy Oven-Fried Catfish and Quick Collard Greens Sauté. While traditionally a southern recipe, this lightened up fish-fry alternative offers a new, bold way to enjoy catfish and savory collard greens. While this recipe is not overly spicy, add more Louisiana hot sauce for more kick!
Spicy Oven-Fried Catfish
Recipe adapted from Grandbaby Cakes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ⅔ cup yellow cornmeal (use gluten free cornmeal for gluten free)
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour (or gluten free flour for gluten free)
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. lemon pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 lb. catfish filets, cut into strips
Garnish (optional): lemon wedges, fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a zip lock bag, add cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon pepper and paprika. Shake together.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and hot sauce.
- Add each filet to the bag of cornmeal breading to coat, then dip into beaten eggs, coating both sides. Dip once again into the cornmeal breading and shake liberally to coat well. Place filets on prepared baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, or until breading is golden brown and fish is cooked through. Allow fish to cool for 5 minutes after baking and serve with lemon and chopped parsley.
Yield: 4 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 270, Total Fat 10g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 155mg, Sodium 1210mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 0g), Protein 4g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%
Quick Collard Green Sauté
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh collard greens, washed, stems removed, sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup unsalted chicken stock
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the collard greens, and sauté until bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken broth and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 80, Total Fat 7g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 20mg, Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 0g), Protein 2g, Vitamin A 60%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 15%, Iron 2%
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.