It’s fiesta time! Drawing inspiration from a popular Tex-Mex dish, known as King Ranch casserole, our lightened-up Southwest Lasagna is anything but short on flavor. It’s cheesy. It’s hearty. And, it’s oh-so delicioso!
Did I mention that this soon-to-be family favorite is also the perfect freezer meal? In fact, this recipe calls for enough ingredients to make two lasagnas - one for now and one for later. What’s not to love about that?!
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (or gluten free flour for gluten free)
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (or gluten free chicken broth for gluten free)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups diced no salt added tomatoes
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 (7 oz.) can diced green chilies, drained
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. shredded chicken
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half, divided
- ¼ cup sliced ripe black olives, divided
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, divided
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder, stir for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in beans, tomatoes, Greek yogurt, chilies, salt and the chicken.
- Spread 1 cup filling in each prepared baking dish. Layer on four tortilla halves and top with 1 cup filling. Repeat with two more layers of tortillas and filling, ending with the rest of the filling. Sprinkle cheese and olives on top.
- See below for freezing instructions. If serving more immediately, bake at 375°F until hot and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
To Freeze and Cook:
- Let unbaked casserole(s) cool to room temperature.
- Tightly wrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze, unbaked, for up to 3 months. To prevent foil from sticking to the cheese, the foil may be coated with cooking spray first.
- When getting ready to bake, thaw casserole in refrigerator for 2 days.
- Once thawed, remove foil and bake at 375°F for about 50 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Yield: 2 (8-serving) lasagnas
*Per Serving: Calories 260, Total Fat 6g (Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 290mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 3g), Protein 25g, Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.