Banh Mi, a traditional Vietnamese sandwich, is getting a trendy makeover and being transformed into a bowl. We're serving it up with Forbidden Rice®, a purplish-black rice that is packed full of protein, fiber and iron. These Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Banh Mi Bowls make a satisfying meal piled high with whole grain rice, seasoned juicy pork and crisp pickled veggies.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Banh Mi Bowls
For the pork:
- 3 lb. pork shoulder or butt roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 4 tsp. honey
- ⅓ cup low sodium chicken broth
For the pickled vegetables:
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. salt, optional
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
For the bowls:
- 4 cups cooked rice (like Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice®)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Sriracha and Hoisin sauce for garnish, optional
- Liberally season the pork roast on all sides with salt and pepper, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Place the pork into the bowl of a large slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together fish sauce, lime juice and zest, soy sauce, honey and broth. Pour over pork. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, flipping the pork halfway through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pickled vegetables. In a large bowl, whisk together honey, salt, rice vinegar and lime juice. Add sliced cucumber, carrot, jalapeno and red onion and toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to come together.
- Once pork is cooked, remove to a cutting board and reserve juices in the slow cooker.
- Shred pork with two forks. (Optional step: Place shredded pork onto a baking sheet and broil on high until pork is crispy, about 5 minutes.) Toss shredded pork with reserved juices from the slow cooker.
- To assemble the bowls, place ½ cup cooked rice in the bottom of each bowl. Top with pork, pickled vegetables and chopped cilantro. Drizzle with sriracha and hoisin, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 430, Total Fat 8g (Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 1030mg, Total Carbohydrate 48g (Dietary Fiber 3g), Protein 40g, Vitamin D 6%, Calcium 4%, Iron 15%, Potassium 20%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.