Have you resolved to eat more plants this year? Try this plant-based Slow Cooker Lentil Masala. Not only is it filled with yummy Indian flavors, but it’s also an easy way to take advantage of the protein powerhouse, pulses!
Slow Cooker Lentil Masala
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 ¼ cups brown or green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. garam masala (see note below)
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- Red chili powder, to taste (optional)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa, for serving
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker, except coconut milk. Stir to mix. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours; adding extra broth or water, as needed
- Once lentils are cooked and tender, stir in coconut milk. Serve over cooked brown rice or quinoa and top with cilantro.
Note: Garam masala is a fragrant, flavor-packed blend of different spices, including cumin, coriander, cinnamon and black pepper, and it is a key ingredient in many Indian-style dishes. Find garam masala in the baking aisle or the bulk spice section of the Natural & Organic department at your local Festival Foods.
Yield: 6 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 340, Total Fat 5g (Saturated 4g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 360mg, Total Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 19g, Sugars 11g), Protein 21g, Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 8%, Iron 45%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet