Impress your family and friends with this easy Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon recipe. This classic labor-intensive French dish is simplified with familiar ingredients and the use of a slow cooker. That means you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen chopping, stirring and doing dishes. Win-win, right?
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic
- 5 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour for gluten free)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch coins
- 1 lb. baby potatoes
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to slow cooker. Discard all but 1 tsp. of bacon fat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to skillet with reserved 1 tsp. bacon fat and sear on each side until browned, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- Add red wine to skillet and stir, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom and sides of the pan. Allow wine to simmer and reduce for about 3 minutes. Slowly add in 1 cup chicken broth and whisk to combine. Sprinkle in flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in tomato sauce, soy sauce and remaining 1 cup chicken broth until well combined and no clumps remain. Add sauce to slow cooker.
- Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Stir to mix. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours, or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 620, Total Fat 39g (Saturated 13g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 150mg, Sodium 600mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 3g), Protein 40g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 30%, Potassium 30%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.