The Blend is a cooking technique that combines chopped mushrooms with ground meat to make meals more delicious, nutritious and sustainable. With just three simple steps, this Sloppy Joes recipe features an easy (and delicious) way to give The Blend a try. See if you can taste the difference!
Sloppy Joes with The Blend
- 8 oz. fresh button mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¾ lb. lean ground beef
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. ground mustard
- ¼ tsp. dried minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. dried minced onion
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Place the mushrooms and onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushroom mixture, ground beef and seasoning blend. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve on hamburger buns.
Yield: 4 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 380, Total Fat 13g (Saturated 4.5g, Trans 0.5g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 400mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 20g), Protein 23g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 10%, Iron 25%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.