This tender, juicy meatloaf knocks its heavier counterpart out of the water! It features ground beef as well as bread crumbs and egg and finely chopped vegetables, which lightens up the meatloaf, boosts the nutrition and makes it a a succulent dish for the whole family.
Add the vegetables, salt, pepper, and garlic to a large nonstick skillet that’s been heated over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Now we’ll add in the bold flavors of sweet ketchup, beefy Worcestershire sauce, tangy Dijon mustard, and a kick of paprika. This flavor combination really brings the overall taste of the meatloaf up a few notches! Now we’ll mix in our whole grain bread crumbs and a lightly beaten egg. Gently combine the cooked vegetables and meat together with clean hands, but don't over mix them! Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape on a prepared baking sheet (this allows for faster cooking; feel free to use a loaf pan).
Top with ketchup Bake the meatloaf at 375°F until internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 45 minutes. Simply add Brussels sprouts and sweet potato wedges (or your vegetable of choice) that have been lightly coated in canola oil halfway through the baking time.
Adapted recipe from EatingWell®
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 3/4 whole grain bread crumbs (2 pieces of toast)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 5 Tbsp. ketchup, divided
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or beef/turkey blend
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pulse onion, mushrooms, carrot, and celery in a food processor until finely chopped. (Or finely chop them with a knife.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables, salt, pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire, mustard, and paprika to the vegetables; stir to combine. Stir in egg and breadcrumbs. Add ground beef and with clean hands gently knead the vegetable mixture into the meat; do not overmix. Pat the meat mixture into a loaf shape (about 12 by 5 inches) on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the remaining 3 tablespoons ketchup on top.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.