Here's how to pull it off: Mix together 3 cups oats, ½ cup chopped walnuts, ¼ cup coconut, and 1 cup puffed wheat cereal. The puffed wheat is slightly sweet and very airy, adding a lightness to this otherwise energy dense snack. Next, add your brown sugar, canola oil, and honey to a saucepan. (Pro tip: Measure the canola oil first and use that same cup to measure the honey. The leftover canola oil in the cup will help the honey slide right out!) Warm this mixture over medium heat until just melted together, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Carefully, pour the heated wet ingredients over the oat mixture. Stir everything together until well coated; the mixture will look dry. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray. Bake for 15 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 350⁰F. Stir. Continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in the chopped dried fruit; we like pitted dates for a touch of extra sweetness. Let cool and break into pieces. Store in an air tight container or plastic bag. It’s as easy that to have a perfect on-the-go snack to keep up with your busy life!
- 3 C. oats (old fashioned or quick)
- 1 cup plain puffed wheat cereal
- 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
- 1/3 C. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit (I used pitted Dates)
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 C. shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine oats, puffed wheat cereal, walnuts, cinnamon, and sweetened coconut in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a small sauce pan, add the honey, canola oil, and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat until just melted.
- Pour the warm liquid ingredients over oat mixture. Stir all the ingredients together until evenly coated. Mixture will look dry.
- Spread oat mixture into a 9 x 13 pan that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Bake additional 15 minutes until toasted and golden brown. Remove from oven and stir in chopped dried fruit. Cool completely on pan. Break crunch into chunks and store in an airtight container or plastic bag.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.