I don’t know about you, but lately I’ve been feeling the winter food blahs and craving fresh summer flavors! I credit this new feeling to the sun peeking out just a wee bit earlier in the morning and staying out a wee bit later at night… spring is on its way!! Well, sort of :). If you can relate to any of this, then I’ve got the perfect recipe for you!
This Ginger Chicken Stir Fry, provided courtesy of Unilever chefs, is loaded with fresh, bright flavors, crunchy veggies, and protein packed chicken all piled on top of heart healthy whole grains! My favorite part?! This recipe utilizes convenient steamer bags that make prep and clean-up a breeze!
First, you’ll start by making the sauce for the stir-fry. Mix together the broth, soy sauce, corn starch, lemon juice and ginger in a small bowl (or large measuring cup :)); set aside.
Next, season your chicken, if desired with salt and ground black pepper. (Side Note: Isn’t pre-prepped chicken fabulous? Thank you Chicken Stir Fry meat for being a major time saver!) Heat 2 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread in a large skillet, over medium-high heat and cook chicken, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl and set aside.
Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. spread in the same skillet used to cook the chicken, and stir fry the vegetables. Note: carrots take longer to cook than onions, so I put the carrots in the pan 2 minutes prior to adding the onions. You will want to stir the veggies occasionally and cook for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender (definition: outside of veggie is soft, inside is still firm). MEANWHILE, this is the time to pop your Steamfresh® Broccoli into the microwave (steam per package directions)!
When your carrots and onions are crisp-tender, stir the broth mixture to mix in any settled cornstarch and pour over the vegetables. Bring to a boil over high heat, letting the sauce thicken slightly.
Reduce heat to medium, add steamed broccoli and return chicken to the skillet; heat through. Now is the perfect time to put your Steamfresh® rice into the microwave. Cook according to package instructions.
While your rice is cooking and the stir-fry is simmering, chop up a handful of fresh, washed cilantro to sprinkle on top. Sometimes, if I don’t have an ingredient on hand I will skip a recommended spice or herb, but I am so glad that I didn’t skimp on the cilantro! The cilantro ties together the flavors and provides the freshness that really makes the dish!
Toss the veggies, sauce, and cilantro to combine and serve over your freshly made brown rice! This meal was perfect fix for my winter blahs... now if we could just do something about the snow :)…! Oh well! Until next week, stay happy and stay warm!
Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 lb. chicken stir-fry meat (from our meat department)
- 4 Tbsp. Country Crock® Calcium Plus Vitamin D
- 4 cups broccoli florets (1 package Birdseye® Steamfresh® Broccoli)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, lemon juice and ginger in small bowl; set aside.
- Season chicken, if desired, with salt and ground black pepper. Heat 2 Tbsp. Spread in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons Spread in same skillet and cook vegetables, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and return chicken to skillet; heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro, then toss.
- Serve as an entrée with hot cooked rice.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.