Woo-whee! It is hot outside!!! And I love it! What I don’t love, is bringing that heat inside the house, especially when making dinner. Are you with me?! If you are, then this week’s recipe couldn’t be more timely! Utilizing the concept of preparing vegetables once and using twice, I tossed together sliced veggies from a previous dish with sliced chicken, hearty black beans, convenient frozen corn, and a dash of pre-made taco seasoning. Seal it all up, grill for fifteen minutes, and you have a simple yet delicious dinner ready to go. To be enjoyed in your nice cool house, of course. As I previously mentioned, earlier this week I had a dinner that called for sliced vegetables. Instead of just slicing up what I needed for dinner that night, I sliced up enough for two separate meals. That way I only needed to prep my veggies once while having tasty meals twice (sans messy kitchen)! Works like a charm. So since my veggies were already sliced, I started off with a half-pound of thawed chicken breast that I cut into thin slices and added to a large bowl. To the chicken, I added sliced veggies (about 2 cups), one can of drained No Salt Added black beans (rinse if you are using regular canned black beans to cut down on sodium), about a cup of frozen corn, and a packet of taco seasoning; tossing to combine. Next, evenly divide your mixture between four sheets of tin foil that have been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray, placing a mound of mixture in the middle of each sheet. Fold the tin foil over itself, folding the sides up so it is wrapped like a package. Place your packet on the grill, fold side up, and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165⁰F. Let the packet rest for five minutes and then serve! As everyone can have their own fajita filling packet, I recommend setting out your favorite fixin’s and serve buffet style!
What is your favorite way to serve up fajitas?!
Easy Fajita Grill Packets
- ½ lb. Dad’s Chicken Breast, plain
- 1 15 oz. can No Salt Added Black Beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups sliced vegetables (pepper, onion, etc.)
- 1 1.25oz. package of taco seasoning
- Thinly slice thawed chicken breast into strips. Place in a large bowl.
- To the chicken, add sliced vegetables, drained black beans, frozen corn, and entire package of taco seasoning. Mix well to combine.
- Evenly divide mixture between four sheets of aluminum foil that have been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fold package shut and cook over medium heat on a grill for 10-15 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165⁰F.
Jenny Dahl is a Registered Dietitian (RD) with Festival Foods and is certified by the state of WI.