When it comes to easy weeknight meals, I have a few favorites that often spring up to save me in a pinch. My favorite go-to recipe, though, is this week’s cheesy chicken skillet lasagna. Made with a blend of three cheeses and some of my favorite veggies, this one pot dish requires very little prep work and even less clean-up! Store bought canned tomatoes and pasta sauce simmer with short cut noodles, negating the need for multiple pots and pans (which is the worst part of making pasta dishes, in my opinion). It’s also easily customizable, so you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand. Use leftover chicken instead of freshly grilled and switch out the mushrooms, onions, and zucchini for any of your favorite veggies. Just a few more convenient things I love about this dish! Begin by heating 2 Tbsp. canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Next, chop your washed zucchini, mushrooms, and onion. Add the veggies to the skillet to sauté for about five minutes. Now we’re going to layer the cottage cheese, shredded mozzarella, and parmesan over the veggies (three cheese combo=ridiculously good!). Next, add a single layer of short cut pasta (I used farfalle/bowtie but any kind will do) and on top of that, layer the pasta sauce and diced tomatoes. We’re done! Cover and let simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. (P.s. I don’t have a cover that’s large enough for my skillet so I tightly covered the pan with tin foil which worked like a charm!) When the pasta is done; finish the dish off with sliced grilled chicken breast (or leftover chicken, whatever you have on hand) and remaining ¼ cup shredded cheese. And enjoy! To make it a complete meal, pair this dish with a refreshing classic side salad. What are your go-to weeknight dinners?
Cheesy Chicken Skillet Lasagna
Adapted Recipe Courtesy of Fruits & Veggies—More Matters®
- 1 lb. Dad’s Chicken Breast, grilled
- 6 oz. short cut pasta (farfalle, rotini, etc.)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz. whole button mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups pasta sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 3 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, wash and chop the zucchini, mushrooms, and onion. Add the vegetables to the oil and begin to sauté for five minutes or until slightly tender.
- Over the vegetables, evenly spread the cottage cheese, parmesan, and ¾ cup shredded mozzarella.
- Layer the uncooked noodles over the cheese.
- Layer the pasta sauce and diced tomatoes over the uncooked noodles.
- Tightly cover the pan (if you do not have a lid that will fit, tightly cover with tin foil) and simmer over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the noodles are soft.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and layer with sliced, grilled chicken.
Yield: 6 servings Per Serving*: Calories 390, Total Fat 12g (Saturated 4g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 820mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 10g), Protein 33g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 25%, Iron 20% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.Jenny Dahl is a Registered Dietitian (RD) with Festival Foods and is certified by the state of WI.