We love finding ways to swap out jarred pasta sauce for lightened up homemade versions. We've been known to whip up creamy avocado alfredo and zesty roasted red pepper sauce. Now, just in time for fall, we have a new comforting pasta recipe featuring rich pumpkin puree. Paired with sweet Italian turkey sausage and grated Romano cheese, this pasta dish is sure to gather everyone around the table!
Pumpkin Penne with Italian Sausage
Recipe adapted from What's Up with the Westovers
- 8 oz. whole wheat penne
- 1 lb. ground sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 12 oz. pumpkin puree
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, brown sausage. Drain fat and remove sausage from skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, pumpkin, half and half, crushed red pepper, cinnamon and salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Stir in cooked penne, sausage and cheese. Serve hot. Garnish with grated Romano.
Yield: 6 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 350, Total Fat 13g (Saturated 3.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 6g), Protein 23g, Vitamin A 140%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.