Inspired by the flavors of traditional Portuguese Kale Soup, we're creating a potato and kale soup with lean, hot Italian-flavored turkey sausage in place of chorizo. Let a pot of this soup simmer on the stove, or in the slow cooker, and you'll find your new favorite way to enjoy kale!
Potato and Kale Soup with Italian Sausage
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 oz. Jennie-O® Hot Italian Turkey Sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced, or removed from casing and ground
- 2 lbs. baby red potatoes, diced
- 8 cups unsalted chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed, washed, and thinly sliced
- Heat oil a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- To a slow cooker, add sausage, onion, potatoes and chicken stock. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and crushed red pepper. Simmer on low heat for 6 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in kale, a handful at a time. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings *Per Serving: Calories 190, Total Fat 6g (Saturated 1.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 230mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g), Protein 11g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.