Based on the South American dish, Aguadito de Pollo, this filling Peruvian Chicken and Rice Soup is packed with veggies and color. Fresh cilantro, smoky poblano pepper and root veggies add layers of flavor and make this dish extra delicious!
Peruvian Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or other cooking oil)⠀
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced⠀
- 1 yellow (or white) onion, diced⠀
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced⠀
- 5 cloves garlic, minced⠀
- 5 cups unsalted chicken broth or stock⠀
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, diced⠀
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced⠀
- 1-2 cups shredded cooked chicken (like rotisserie chicken from our deli)
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 bunch cilantro⠀
- 1 lime, juiced⠀
- 1 cup water⠀
- 1 cup frozen peas⠀
- 2 tsp. cumin⠀
- Salt and pepper, to taste.⠀
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add diced poblano and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions start to turn translucent. Add serrano and garlic and saute for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To a soup pot, add chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, chicken and rice. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until veggies are tender and rice is cooked.⠀
- Once pepper mixture has cooled, transfer to blender. Add cilantro, lime juice and water. Blend 1-2 minutes or until smooth.⠀
- Once soup veggies and rice are cooked, stir in frozen peas, cumin and cilantro mixture. Cook until peas are warm. Season with salt and pepper and serve. ⠀
Yield: 6 servings⠀
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.