Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins! So today I’m sharing 3 muffin tin recipes that are simple, creative and better-for-you! They are also make-ahead friendly, meaning you can create several batches of different mini meals, and refrigerate or freeze them for future meals. Just toss them in a lunch box for the kids, or reheat them for tomorrow night’s dinner. The kids will absolutely love helping you cook, too! Bon appetit, muffin tin style!
# 1 - Pancake Mini Muffins
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
3 Tbsp. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
2 ½ cups skim milk
2 whole eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 cup blueberries
¼ cup maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, flaxseed, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients, then stir in canola oil and melted butter. If batter is too thick, stir in a little milk.
- Spray a mini-muffin pan generously with baking spray. Fill cups 2/3 full. If using blueberries, drop 2-3 into each cup. Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup!
Yield: 12 servings (3 mini muffins per svg) Per Serving*: Calories 200, Total Fat 6g(Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 320mg, Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g), Protein 7g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 15%, Iron 8% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
# 2 - Taco Egg Muffin Cups
1 tsp. canola oil
1 diced green bell pepper
1 diced red bell pepper
½ diced yellow onion
1 lb. ground turkey (93/7)
4 Tbsp. taco seasoning, low sodium (or make your own)
¼ cup water 12 eggs, whisked
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
1 – 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 – 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salsa, avocado, low fat sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat canola oil to medium high heat in skillet. Add peppers and onion and cook until softening. Add ground turkey and brown until meat is cooked. Stir in the taco seasoning and water and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Transfer taco meat to a bowl and allow to cool (if you add the hot mixture to the eggs, they will scramble).
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and ¾ of the cheese. When cooled, add the taco meat. Spoon into muffin tins that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 1-2 minutes. Use a knife around the edges of the taco muffins to loosen them. Remove and serve with salsa, avocado and/or sour cream, if desired.
Yield: 24 servings (1 taco muffin) Per Serving*: Calories 110, Total Fat 6g(Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 110mg, Sodium 170mg, Total Carbohydrate 5g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 9g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 6%, Iron 6% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
# 3 - Mini Deep Dish Pizzas
4 burrito-size whole wheat tortillas
1 – 15 oz. can pizza sauce
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp. basil/oregano mix
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ cup turkey sausage crumbles
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Optional toppings: Bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, olives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start by cutting circles out of the tortillas using a can, cup or cookie cutter to cut 3-4 medium circles out of each wrap.
- Press each wrap circle into muffin tin using your fingers.
- Pour pizza sauce, parmesan and spices into a medium bowl. Stir until combined.
- Drop about 1-2 Tbsp. of sauce in each tortilla round.
- Place a few sausage crumbles on top of each pizza, and any additional toppings you are using.
- Divide mozzarella cheese evenly over each mini pizza.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Wait for pizzas to cool, and remove from muffin tin using a fork or knife. The pizzas should pop out with ease!
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Yield: 24 servings (1 pizza) Per Serving*: Calories 100, Total Fat 3.5g(Saturated 1.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 230mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 4g, Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 4%, Iron 2% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Julie Andrews is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with Festival Foods and is certified by the state of WI.