Our Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is filled with fresh, lemon-y flavor, and it also packs a nutritional punch thanks to a secret ingredient — olive oil! Heart-healthy olive oil may be used as a substitute for butter and oil in many baking recipes. Because regular olive oil can have a stronger flavor, we recommend using extra virgin olive oil for a trade-up in baked goods.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten free all-purpose flour for gluten free)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup milk (or unsweetened milk alternative for dairy free)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add poppy seeds, sugar and lemon zest; stir to mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, milk, eggs and olive oil. Add mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and allowing bread to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Yield: 12 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 260, Total Fat 8g (Saturated 1.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 310mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 18g), Protein 5g, Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.