Cheesy, crispy, hearty, creamy, a little spicy, a little sweet, and veggie packed – it’s our Kale, Farro and Butternut Squash Gratin, and it’s about to become your new favorite comfort food!
Kale, Farro and Butternut Squash Gratin
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
Salt & Pepper, to taste
5 oz. total of Romano, parmesan and asiago cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
6 cups kale, ribs and stems removed, chopped
¾ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. ground red pepper
3 cups cooked farro
1 cup golden raisins
10 oz. frozen diced butternut squash
⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup pine nuts, walnuts or pecans
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 8-inch square glass baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour and whisk, until mixture is golden. Slowly add milk, while whisking, and allow mixture to come to a simmer. Continue to whisk and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove saucepan from heat and immediately whisk in cheese until a smooth, creamy sauce is formed.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add onions. Cook over medium heat until softened. Add kale; cook until wilted. Sprinkle with salt and red pepper. Stir in farro, raisins and squash.
- Pour cheese sauce over farro mixture; stir until well coated. Spoon mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Combine breadcrumbs, pine nuts, 2 Tbsp. melted butter and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Sprinkle mixture evenly over casserole.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and casserole is beginning to bubble around edges.
Yield: 10 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 380, Total Fat 17g (Saturated 9g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 410mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 13g), Protein 13g, Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 25%, Iron 10%
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations