Butter Chicken, or murgh makhani, is synonymous with Indian cuisine. This creamy dish is a real treat; we've lightened up this classic dish and shortened the cooking time by using the Instant Pot®. Don't have an InstaPot? No worries - we have slow cooker instructions for you, too.
Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can tomato puree (1 cup)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup milk (or coconut milk for dairy free)
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Serving suggestions: steamed brown rice or naan
- Set the Instant Pot to the "Saute" setting. Add butter and cook until melted. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add garam masala, coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, and turmeric and stir to combine. Stir in tomato paste and tomato sauce; allow spices and sauce to cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock until well combined. Add chicken and make sure meat is covered by liquid.
- To cook with Instant Pot: Close lid, turn vent to "Sealing", select the "Manual" setting and set time to 10 minutes.
- Once cycle is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use the quick release method to release the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and switch the Instant Pot back to "Saute" and stir in the milk. Let sauce cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken slightly.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and garnish with parsley. Serve Butter Chicken over steamed rice or with naan.
Slow Cooker Directions: Combine all ingredients except for milk and parsley. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Stir in milk and garnish with parsley just before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 440, Total Fat 10g (Saturated 3.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 120mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 7g), Protein 41g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%, Potassium 20%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.