Tomorrow is a special day here in the Health & Wellness department at Festival Foods and across the country for those of us who bring food and nutrition expertise to your table. With three RDs on staff here at Festival, we’re excited to be celebrating March 14th as Registered Dietitian Day! As part of our celebrations, we will be launching a new and improved Health & Wellness website. In honor of Registered Dietitian Day, I thought it would be fun to give you all a glimpse of what life is like as a Festival RD! So often Stephanie, Jenny and I get the question, “What does a dietitian do at a grocery store?” Well, let me assure you, we stay incredibly busy with everything from program development and implementation to community nutrition education, food safety and sanitation, corporate employee wellness, and regulatory affairs (think product labeling, recalls, etc.). One day is never the same as the next, and that’s a big reason why we love what we do! A large part of our jobs as Festival RDs involves working with the Eat Well program. Eat Well at Festival Foods is FREE nutrition programming that is meant to enhance your shopping experience. We’re making it easier for you to find more nutritious foods throughout the store by providing resources and information to help you do so! Eat Well has something for everyone, including:
- NuVal®- The NuVal Nutritional Scoring System provides guidance on overall nutrition quality of foods. NuVal Scores can be used to make quick, easy and educated decisions about products throughout the store. NuVal scores foods on a scale from 1-100; the higher the score, the better the nutrition. It really is “Nutrition made easy”!
- Online Nutrition Database- Have you ever wanted to know the nutrition information for your favorites from Festival’s deli, meat, or bakery department? Now you can find it all right on our website! Once you access this portion of our website, simply click on the name of a specific product and that item’s nutrition facts panel will pop up for you to view.
- Eat Well at Festival Foods Deli- Finding the most nutritious options among the large number of deli selections can be overwhelming! Now you can simply look to the Eat Well at Festival Foods logo for guidance. These deli items were developed as a joint effort between our deli team and our dietitians in order to bring healthy, convenient options to you, our valued guest! Eat Well deli items meet specific nutrition criteria, so you can feel good about what you’re purchasing. Some of the favorite Eat Well deli selections include Lime Black Bean Fiesta, Eat Well Potato Salad, and Honey Mustard Turkey Pasta.
- Eat Well Wednesday Blog- Look for weekly recipes from us every Wednesday on the Festy Blog. We focus on how to use our weekly ad along with NuVal scores to build a healthy meal solution that fits in your budget.
- Dietitian Resources- We also stay busy educating the communities we serve about nutrition along with the resources that we have available at Festival. We do presentations at local schools and business and give store tours upon request (based on our availability). If you have a nutrition-related question, you can email us directly through the “Ask our Dietitians” feature on our website; we’re happy to get back to you! We host special events to share our health and wellness message with our shoppers and the community.
Being a Registered Dietitian is a very rewarding career. We’re so fortunate that Festival is invested in the health and wellness of our communities and values the work that we do on a daily basis! Be on the lookout for more “Great Stuff” to come from Festival’s RDs!