Gallo Pinto is a traditional Latin American dish filled with whole grain brown rice and black beans. This satisfying skillet meal can be enjoyed any time of the day, uses lots of kitchen staples and packs a mean plant-based protein punch. Try it tonight!
Recipe adapted from Cooking the Globe
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 (10 oz.) bag Birds Eye®️ SteamFresh Brown Rice, frozen
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and bell pepper; cook until onion is just soft and translucent, about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Add frozen brown rice, cumin, beans, vegetable broth and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until all of the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 340, Total Fat 12g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 10g, Sugars 4g, Includes 0g Added Sugars), Protein 10g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%, Potassium 10%.
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.