In the midst of all the holiday hustle and bustle, sometimes it’s nice to take a break from the big, fancy meals and sit down to a simple and nutritious dinner instead. To help you do just that, today I have an easy recipe for Crunchy Walnut-Coated Chicken Strips that both the kids and adults at your home will love. Pieces of tender, lean chicken breast are dipped in beaten egg, coated in a mixture of crushed corn flake cereal and walnuts, and then baked until golden brown. The walnuts are the unsung hero in this recipe…adding extra protein and Omega-3’s, along with delicious flavor and crunch! Another thing I love about this recipe is that you can customize it to your own tastes. Looking for a spicy flair? Add some hot sauce to the egg and crushed red pepper flakes to the walnut mixture. Want cheesy chicken strips? Toss a little grated hard cheese, like parmesan or Romano into the coating. And don’t forget to enjoy these delicious chicken strips with your favorite dipping sauce! The possibilities are endless!
Crunchy Walnut-Coated Chicken Strips
1 ½ cups corn flake cereal
1 cup Fisher® Chopped Walnuts
½ tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1 ¼ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put cereal and walnuts into a zip-top plastic bag; press air out of bag and zip closed. Using a rolling pin or heavy food can, press and roll over ingredients in the bag until cereal is finely crushed and walnuts are in pieces as small as grains of rice. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper to bag. Shake to mix.
- Crack egg into a medium-size bowl. Beat with a fork until yolk and white are mixed together.
- Place chicken breasts on cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips across the short direction of each piece of chicken. Add sliced chicken to the egg and stir. Immediately wash hands, knife and cutting board with warm soapy water.
- With a fork, remove chicken pieces letting extra egg drip off. Put chicken into bag with walnut mixture.
- Close bag. Gently shake bag back and forth, and press walnuts onto chicken. Pour chicken onto prepared pan and use a fork to separate pieces so they aren’t touching each other. Wash hands again if you touched the chicken.
- Bake about 10 minutes, until crumbs are golden brown and chicken is cooked through (should reach a minimum internal temperature of 165°F).
Tip: To make this recipe into an appetizer, simply cut the chicken into bite-size pieces instead of strips. Yield: 4 entrée servings Per Serving*: Calories 400, Total Fat 24g (Saturated 3g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 125mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g), Protein 35g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 6%, Iron 25%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.