If you are like me and simply can’t get enough of mushrooms, finding new ways to add them to delicious, yet easy to make recipes is always a delight! Not only do they taste great, but mushrooms are also a healthy addition to meals. They are packed with beneficial nutrients like potassium, selenium, vitamin D, and are also entirely fat and cholesterol free. In this simple Cheesy Mushroom-Baked Cod, you will find these tastey morsels topped on omega-3 rich, Italian-flavored cod loins. Cod is an excellent source of lean protein that is lower in calories and saturated fat compared to other meat options. Also, it is recommened by the American Heart Association to consume fish 2-3 times per week. With only five ingredients and quick assembly, why not give this flavorsome recipe a try?!
Cheesy Mushroom-Baked Cod
4 frozen cod loins (about 1 lb.)
2 Tbsp. TJ Farms® Italian Dressing
1 (8 oz.) pkg. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
½ cup Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 450°F. Place frozen cod loins in a 13x9-inch baking dish and drizzle with dressing. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- While cod is baking, sauté mushrooms in a medium skillet until golden brown.
- Remove cod from oven after 25 minutes and top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and cod loins flake easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Yield: 4 servings Per Serving*: Calories 160, Total Fat 5g (Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 25g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 10%, Iron 4% *Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Guest blogger, Jena Pape is a dietetic intern from VIterbo University.