Christmas has come to pass, and at this point in the week, most of us are ready to move on from the ham, turkey, goose, or turducken that graced the table for your holiday feast. With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season winding down, we now have the New Year to look forward to! In Wisconsin, we are pretty lucky. Not only do we get to celebrate the New Year with our family and friends, we also get to watch the Packers on Sunday and the Badgers on Monday! The recipes below are some “game-day” ideas that offer a nice departure from the holiday fare, provide heart healthy fats along with other essential nutrients (but no one needs to know this besides you!), and they are sure to please your crowd!
4 ripe avocados, seeded and peeled
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tomato, finely chopped
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Using a fork, coarsely mash avocado with lemon juice and garlic.
- Stir in remaining ingredients to blend.
- Garnish as desired and serve with tortilla chips.
Avocado Beef Patties
1 ripe avocado
1 ½ tsp. lemon juice, plus extra as needed
2 Tbsp. diced green chili peppers
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp. chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
½ tsp. salt
1 lb. lean ground beef
¼ cup shredded jack cheese
4 whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
4 thin slices of tomato
- Halve avocado lengthwise and remove seed; then peel. Slice the avocado and coat pieces with lemon juice; set aside.
- In a bowl, mash remaining avocado half.
- Stir in chile peppers, egg, onion, the remaining lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Add beef and combine thoroughly (mixture will be moist).
- With your hands, shape meat into 4 patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cook the burgers on a griddle or grill until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle each patty with 2 tablespoons of the cheese.
- Arrange patties on bottoms of buns and top each patty with lettuce leaves, tomato slice, and a few avocado slices.
- Cover with remaining buns.