Tired of the same old tailgating fare, but you need a little inspiration? We've got plenty of that and a new one from our friends at Pillsbury. Say hello to the Chicken Empanada Cone, which is a deliciously savory way to do pie crusts!
Chicken Empanada Cones
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons agave sweetener or honey
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST® Unbleached Flour
- 1 can (18.5 oz) Progresso™ World Recipes frijoles negros y jalapeño soup, drained, reserving liquid
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (from a jar)
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup sour cream
- In 1-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave water on High 1 minute. Add raisins; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon of the butter on High 10 to 20 seconds or until melted. Stir in agave sweetener; set aside. Chop enough cilantro to measure 1 tablespoon; set aside.
- In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently or until onions are softened. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in reserved liquid from can of frijoles negros. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the frijoles negros, chicken, corn, roasted peppers, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, garlic salt, cumin and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain raisins; chop raisins and stir into chicken mixture. Cool slightly.
- Heat oven to 450°. Line 2 large cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper or spray with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray. Sprinkle cookie sheets with cornmeal. Unroll pie crusts. Roll each into 13-inch round; cut each round into quarters. To make each empanada, place piece of pie crust on cookie sheet, pressing into cornmeal. Brush center with agave mixture. Spoon rounded 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in center. Bring long sides of dough together, forming a cone shape. Press to seal, leaving rounded end open. Repeat with remaining pie crust, agave mixture and chicken mixture.
- Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve empanadas with salsa, sour cream and remaining cilantro.