At the risk of being redundant, can you believe it’s already October?! I’m not sure where the time has gone, but I’m in love with the plethora of pumpkins everywhere, the orange, red, and yellow leaves peeking out at me from the trees, and the abundance of cozy casseroles that have made their way back on to the dinner scene. Cheesy chicken and rice bake has been a family favorite of mine since before I can remember. The aroma of chicken baking on a bed of creamy rice would permeate the entire house, warming us up from the inside out even before dinner was served. Even today, I can’t help but take a peek at the dish bubbling away in the oven out of anticipation for this simple delight to make its way to my dinner plate. And to that point, now that I’ve started making this dinner dish on my own, I have a better understanding of why my mom also loved making this recipe too. It’s super easy! This savory dish of creamy rice, crisp-tender vegetables, and comforting cheesy chicken is a breeze to make and easy enough to double for leftovers later in the week. That leaves me more time for Fall fun and less time prepping and cleaning up after dinner! A win in anyone’s book. Start by preheating your oven to 375⁰F. Next, add 2 cups of broccoli florets and 1 cup baby carrots to a 9x13 baking pan.
To the vegetables, add 3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice (Parboiled is my favorite option as it has the same texture as regular white rice, but more nutrients), 1 1/3 cup water, and a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup, stirring to combine well.
Next add a ½ tsp. of garlic powder and ¼ tsp. of black pepper (or a few dashes), stir to combine.
Layer the vegetable mixture with 1 1/4 lb. plain Dad’s Chicken Breast, cover, and bake for about 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165⁰F) and the dish is hot and bubbly.
When the dish is done, give the rice a stir and sprinkle with the cheese. Let sit for 10 minutes and then serve!
As I mentioned earlier, this dish doubles really well to make extra leftovers for later in the week. So if you like planned leftovers or need quick packed lunches, this is the recipe for you! What are you favorite Fall dinners?
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake
Adapted recipe courtesy of Campbell’s®
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (or gluten free cream of mushroom soup for gluten free)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Stir the soup, water, rice, garlic powder, black pepper and vegetables in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Top the rice mixture with the chicken. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Top with the cheese. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes. Stir the rice before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving*: Calories 280, Total Fat 7g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 28g, Vitamin A 70%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.