A lighter take on a traditional Thai favorite, this Carrot Noodle Pad Thai with Tofu uses spiralized veggies instead of rice noodles. Tamarind paste is the secret ingredient here - it gives the dish its distinctive sweet and sour taste.
Carrot Noodle Pad Thai with Tofu
- 1 (16 oz.) package firm tofu
- 3 Tbsp. tamarind paste (found in the Asian foods aisle)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup palm sugar (found in our Natural Department)
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarian/vegan)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package Green Giant® Veggie Spirals™ Carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Optional garnishes: cilantro, sliced green onion, bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, lime wedges, sriracha
- Remove tofu from packaging and place on a plate with paper towels. Cover tofu with more paper towels and place a heavy skillet on top to press. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium-low heat and add the tamarind, water, palm sugar, fish sauce and half the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- Cut pressed tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining oil. Add onion and remaining garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add carrot noodles, bell pepper, bean sprouts and green onion to the pan and cook until tender-crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce and toss noodles until coated and heated through.
- Move noodles over to one side of the pan. Add egg to bare side of pan and scramble with a wooden spoon; cook for about 30 seconds. Toss cooked egg and tofu with noodles until heated through.
- Remove noodles from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro, sliced green onion, bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, lime wedges and sriracha.
Yield: 4 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 300, Total Fat 13g (Saturated 1.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 780mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 24g, Includes 15g Added Sugars), Protein 15g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 30%, Iron 15%, Potassium 6%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.