With hearty kidney beans, roasted red pepper, creamy coconut milk and allspice, this dish is sure to fill your kitchen with Caribbean flair!
Caribbean Beans & Rice
- 1 pkg. Birdseye® Steamfresh® Whole Grain Brown Rice*
- 1 ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large roasted red pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can light coconut milk
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare Steamfresh rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add roasted red peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add beans, coconut milk, allspice, salt and pepper to saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; reduce heat to low. Warm through, about 5-10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings
*Note - you may substitute regular long grain brown rice for the Steamfresh rice. Simply add 1 cup dry rice as directed in step 3, plus ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 380, Total Fat 9g (Saturated 4.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 530mg, Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 11g, Sugars 3g), Protein 14g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.