The average weight of a 500g cereal box is 73 g (including the liner). Replacing a cereal box with a polyethylene bulk bag will save approximately 70 g. If you multiply that times one million boxes, we could remove 70 tons of waste from our household waste stream. We have several delicious bulk granolas in our Natural Foods department- stop by and check them out. Our best seller is French Vanilla Almond, it is delicious!
We are continuing to expand our selection of bulk options at Festival Foods. We recently added Quinoa and Chia Seeds to our line up. Haven’t tried Quinoa before? When cooked it is a light fluffy grain with a nutty flavor than can serve as a substitute for rice or couscous. This nutritious food is high in protein, fiber, magnesium and iron. It is gluten free and is considered very easy to digest. Check out the recipe below for Quinoa and Black Beans, it’s easy to make and very healthy. Plus- it tastes great!
Yes, these are the seeds that are used in Chia pets!
Watch our bi-weekly, in-store orange sheet for bulk specials. Not finding what you’re looking for? Stop in and talk to one of our knowledgeable Natural Foods staff. If we don’t carry the item you are looking for we will do our best to locate it and/or special order to meet your needs. We hope to see you in the Festival Foods Natural Foods department soon!
Quiona and Black Beans
Prep time- 15 minutes, cook time 35 minutes. Makes 10 servings
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- 2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- 3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories- 76,Fat- 1.5 g, Cholesterol- 0 mg, Sodium- 190 mg, Fiber- 1.9 g, Protein- 2.6 g