In Mexico, a torta is a kind of sandwich served on a crusty sandwich roll. With this plant-based Black Bean Torta, we’ve topped a bolillo roll from our bakery with spicy chipotle mayo, smoky black beans, avocado and cotija cheese for a flavorful lunch!
Black Bean Torta
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. sauce from a can of adobo chipotles, or more as needed (may substitute your favorite chipotle-flavored hot sauce)
Black Bean Mixture:
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 (15 oz.) cans no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups no salt added chicken stock
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 6 telera or bolillo rolls, split and toasted
- Small romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 sliced avocado
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Cotija cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and adobo sauce until smooth. Taste and add adobo sauce as needed.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ancho chili powder and cumin, cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans, stock and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low so the mixture is barely bubbling. Use a large spoon to smash as many of the beans as possible, leaving the mixture chunky. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes very thick, 15-20 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, and turn off the heat. Taste, and add salt as needed.
- To assemble the tortas, layer on the bottom halves of the toasted rolls in the following order: chipotle mayo, romaine lettuce leaves, beans, avocado, tomato, red onion and cotija cheese. Smear the toasted sides of the top halves with the remaining chipotle mayo. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 tortas
*Per Serving: Calories 620, Total Fat 24g (Saturated 3.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 740mg, Total Carbohydrate 85g (Dietary Fiber 14g, Sugars 7g), Protein 20g, Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 60%, Calcium 20%, Iron 20%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.