Are you in need of a last-minute salad or side dish recipe for your Memorial Day get-together? If so, you’re in luck! Black Bean & Mango Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette is a perfect picnic salad: it can be made ahead of time and holds up well in the fridge or cooler, it doesn’t contain mayo (so food safety is less of a concern if it’s sitting out on a warm day), and it’s a colorful, fresh side dish that’s bursting with flavor! A perfect addition to the Memorial Day menu! This delicious summer salad is really easy to throw together! Begin by draining and rinsing both cans of beans and chopping up the bell pepper and onion. Next, chop up the mango. (I know, it seems like kind of an odd ingredient in this salad, but trust me…the mango is what makes it so special!) Mangoes have always been one of my least favorite fruits to cut up because of the flat, wide pit that’s in the middle. That is, until I learned how to do it this way!
- Cut off the bottom end of the mango where the stem is located, making a flat surface on the bottom of the fruit.
- Stand the mango up on the flat surface that was just cut.
- Cut off the “cheek” (the rounded piece of fruit on either side of the pit).
- Turn the mango and cut off the other cheek. Cut away any remaining fruit that’s left around the pit.
- Using mild pressure and being careful not to cut through the skin, score the mango with a knife.
- Invert the scored cheek and use a knife to easily cut the cubes of mango away from the skin.
Once your mango and vegetables are chopped and ready to go, mix up the cilantro lime vinaigrette. I like to make my vinaigrette dressings in a jar, because all you have to do is throw all your ingredients in and shake them up! So, begin by zesting and juicing two fresh limes. Add the lime zest and juice to a jar along with the balsamic vinegar, cilantro, cumin, and oil. Seal the jar with a tight-fitting lid, and give it a good shake. Dressing… done!
Then simply combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix together the corn, black beans, garbanzo beans, bell pepper, red onion, and mango. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well. Refrigerate the salad for an hour to allow the flavors to combine, then toss again and enjoy!
With protein-packed beans, crunchy red pepper, sweet kernels of corn, and juicy ripe mango, this colorful salad is sure to be a real winner at your summer get-togethers! Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Black Bean & Mango Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
Recipe from Culinary Pilgrim
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, mix together the corn, black beans, garbanzo beans, bell pepper, mango and red onion.
- For the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, cilantro and cumin. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Alternately, combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a tightly sealed jar and shake until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, and toss again, before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Per Serving*: Calories 200, Total Fat 8g(Saturated 1g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 310mg, Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 9g), Protein 6g, Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 60%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.