Crunchy jicama, creamy avocado, and juicy pineapple are the perfect complement to peppery arugula and chewy whole grain barley. This refreshing Barley, Pineapple and Jicama Salad with Avocado is the perfect summer dish to help you beat the heat.
Barley, Pineapple and Jicama Salad with Avocado
Adapted from the Whole Grains Council
- 1 cup barley
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups arugula
- 1 jicama root, peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- 2 large avocados, diced
- Bring barley and 3 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45-60 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.
- While barley is cooking, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss arugula with half the dressing.
- When barley is done cooking, drain off excess liquid.
- Add cooked barley, jicama, pineapple and avocado to the arugula. Drizzle on the remaining dressing and toss gently to combine.
Yield: 8 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 330, Total Fat 17g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 20mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 16g, Sugars 8g, Includes 0g Added Sugars), Protein 5g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%, Potassium 15%.
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.