Chicken and noodles – a classic dish in almost every culture. I don’t know about you, but I am most likely in the mood for noodles at any given time. And since it’s warm out, I want something fresh and light, but with a little kick of heat. That’s when I turned to this Thai-inspired noodle bowl with juicy chicken breast. This one’s a winner, folks. This recipe might taste exotic, but it couldn’t be easier. By using fresh basil, packaged matchstick carrots, and rice noodles, the prep work is virtually non-existent. And the simplicity of the recipe lets the beautiful freshness of each ingredient shine! It’s a wonderful thing.
To get started, prepare the rice noodles according to the package directions, and add in the shredded carrots to the boiling water to give the noodles a nice hint of flavor.
While the noodles are boiling, you can go ahead and cook the chicken breast. Just sprinkle each breast with salt and pepper, and let them cook on an oiled skillet for about 4-5 minutes on each side. After they’re cooked through, cut each breast into strips and set aside. Mmm… look at that sear!
While you’re waiting on your chicken and noodles to finish cooking, you can create the spicy Thai peanut sauce that brings it all together. In a large bowl, whisk together peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime zest and juice, sriracha, ginger and a splash of hot water. This is the part where you get to taste it and make sure it’s everything you’ve dreamed of. Adjust the seasonings if necessary. Does your kitchen smell amazing yet?
Lastly, place the drained noodles and carrots in a bowl, and top with chicken strips. Drizzle the chicken and noodles with sauce and garnish with green onions, basil and/or cilantro, and peanuts. It’s crunchy, spicy, savory, and fresh all at once! It’s chicken and noodles, with a kick!
Asian Peanut Chicken Noodle Bowl
- 8 oz. package rice noodles
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 Tbsp. canola or peanut oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- Pinch coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar or honey
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (or Tamari sauce for gluten free)
- 1 ½ Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. sriracha or chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced or grated
- Splash of hot water
- ½ cup diced green onion, basil and/or cilantro, for garnish
- ¼ cup peanuts, for garnish
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Add matchstick carrots to the boil water and drain.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Place chicken breasts in hot skillet and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until juices run clear. Remove and slice chicken into strips.
- While noodles and chicken cook, prepare sauce. Whisk together peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime zest and juice, sriracha, ginger and a splash of hot water.
- Place cooked noodles and carrots in a bowl and top with chicken strips, drizzle with sauce and garnish with green onion, basil and/or cilantro and peanuts.
Yield: 4 servings
Per Serving*: Calories 580, Total Fat 23g (Saturated 3.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 450mg, Total Carbohydrate 60g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 10g), Protein 34g, Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.