Did you know? November is American Diabetes Month. Celebrate with our diabetic-friendly, Apple Pomegranate Pistachio Bread! This festive quick bread not only features heart-healthy Wonderful® pistachios and sweet pomegranate arils, but also hearty whole grain flour and better-for-us date sugar.**
**Find date sugar made from dehydrated ground dates in our Natural & Organic department at your local Festival Foods.
Sweets, Snacks & Sides:
Apple Pomegranate Pistachio Bread
1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
⅔ cup date sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
⅓ cup apple juice
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup low fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup pomegranate arils
⅓ cup Wonderful® Pistachios, chopped
1 cup peeled and grated apple
1 Tbsp. pomegranate arils
1 Tbsp. Wonderful® Pistachios, chopped
6 Tbsp. powdered sugar, sifted
⅛ tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine apple juice, oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in pomegranate arils, pistachios and apple. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Bread is done when golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- If desired, prepare glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, cinnamon and apple juice in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over bread. Top with pomegranate arils and pistachios and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Yield: 12 servings
*Per Serving (with glaze): Calories 170, Total Fat 7g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 15g), Protein 3g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Emily Schwartz is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with Festival Foods and certified in the state of WI.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Wonderful® Pistachios. Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pistachios, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.