At Festival Foods, our Food Safety Team is diligent about helping keep you and your family safe. The Food Allergy Research & Education group has great information on Facebook and Twitter as well. We have plenty of food allergy information available online.
We have plenty of food allergy information available online. Here are a few things we're doing at Festival Foods for our allergen sensitive guests:
1. Signs: It's important our guests know that we're not an allergen free facility; we make thousands of products each day containing all of the eight major allergens (fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, milk, eggs and wheat). Even if we produce products without allergens, such as these soy-free bakery options, we of course want our guests to know there still is a risk of cross contamination. We know how sensitive individuals with food allergies can be and that's why we post signs in each Fresh Foods Department to let our guests know about that risk.
2. Associate Training: Each of our Fresh managers go through a certified food safety class where they learn about the dangers of cross contamination, proper storage techniques, and allergen controls. We also equip our back rooms with reminders and signage on the 8 major allergen proteins as well as storage technique reminders. Additionally, our scale labels will call out any allergen found in the product with a “CONTAINS” statement near the bottom of the label.
3. Contains Nuts Stickers: Shop our Bakery frequently? We just recently implemented a “Contains Nuts” sticker that notifies our guests which items in our self-serve cases (muffins, doughnuts and rolls) as well as our service counter have nuts baked into them. We also recommend asking a service counter associate for the ingredients and checking the label of these products as well.
4. Gluten Sensitivity Information: Our Deli has “No Gluten Containing” items. That means they're made with a combination of ingredients that are certified gluten free and some that do not contain any naturally occurring gluten. We recommend guests ask a service counter associate for the ingredients and checking the label of these products as well.
5. Gluten Free Living & Shopping: Our Mealtime Mentors are committed to helping our guests that need to eat gluten free. Whether you're newly diagnosed and need help starting a gluten free diet, or you're seasoned in eating gluten free and in need of new recipe inspirations, we've got you covered!
6. No Soy Containing & No Gluten Containing Lists: Are you soy or gluten sensitive? In our Meat and Deli departments, we have a “No Gluten Containing” list that notes which of our products have no naturally occurring gluten. In the Bakery, we have a “No Soy Containing” list that details our products with no naturally occurring soy. (Please note: soybean oil is still present). Check out the top of our service counters for these super helpful documents.