Growing up, stir-fry night was a weekly occurrence in our home. Dishes, like this Sweet and Sour Chicken, were easy for my mom to make, used up leftovers in the fridge, and always tasted great – all reasons why stir-fry and other Asian-inspired dishes had a standing spot on our family’s weekly menu rotation. Today’s colorful, kid-friendly dish uses one of my favorite kitchen gadgets, the slow cooker. Add minimally-prepped ingredients to your crockpot before heading to work and have a delicious meal ready and waiting for supper. Who doesn’t love that? And the best part, affordable canned pineapple adds just a hint of sweetness that I’m certain anyone would enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp. cold water
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- ⅛ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (20 oz.) cans pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 2 large bell peppers (any color), cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Combine ingredients through bell peppers in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high on 4 hours.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
Yield: 6 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 350, Total Fat 4g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 410mg, Total Carbohydrate 59g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 28g), Protein 19g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.