This Skillet Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread has jalapenos for a spicy kick, Mexican style corn with bell peppers for extra flavor and shredded cheddar for that ooey-gooey cheesiness we all desire. We swapped all-purpose flour for white whole wheat flour to give us the texture of traditional cornbread, but with a little extra fiber (to keep our bellies happy!). We are cooking all of this goodness in a cast iron skillet to give the cornbread a crispy crust. Serve by itself or with a hearty bowl of chili!
Skillet Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 ¾ cups low fat buttermilk (or 1 ¾ cup low fat milk + 1 Tbsp. white vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. corn or canola oil
- 1 small can Mexican style corn, drained
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (through coarse salt). In a separate small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (egg through oil).
- Combine dry and wet ingredients, until incorporated. Stir in corn, jalapenos and cheese.
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium-high on the stove. Melt butter and spread to evenly coat the pan. Pour cornbread batter in to the pan, then transfer to the oven. Bake for 13-17 minutes, until toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 12 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 220, Total Fat 6g (Saturated 2g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 560mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 8g), Protein 7g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 15%, Iron 8%
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.