Some foods — like tuna and avocado — are just meant to go together. Simple, quick and bursting with flavor, this Seared Tuna and Avocado Salsa is the perfect example. Try this recipe with Fresh Flight Ahi Tuna from our Meat & Seafood department. And, when ready to cook, heat the pan or grill to super hot for a nice sear and perfectly cooked tuna.
Seared Tuna with Avocado Salsa
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tsp. dark brown sugar
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6 oz.) tuna steaks
- To prepare salsa, combine first nine ingredients, through jalapeño pepper, in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl, stirring until brown sugar dissolves. Reserve 1 Tbsp. soy sauce mixture.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan evenly with cooking spray. Add steaks to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, basting steaks frequently with soy mixture. Remove steaks from grill pan; drizzle with reserved 1 Tbsp. soy sauce mixture. Serve fish with salsa.
Yield: 4 servings
*Per Serving: Calories 384, Total Fat 16g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 504mg, Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 8g), Protein 45g, Calcium 35mg, Iron 2mg
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general information only. It is not intended as medical advice. Health information changes frequently as research constantly evolves. You should not rely on any information gathered here as a substitute for consultation with medical professionals. Information may not be reproduced without permission from Festival Foods. We strongly encourage guests to review the ingredient lists of suggested products before purchasing to ensure they meet individual dietary needs. All products not available at all Festival locations.